Dr. Edwin Allgair received his Doctorate of Dental Surgery in 1999 from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, and was the AAO award recipient from his graduating class.
Dr. Allgair spent a summer externship in Bethel in 1998, and found the culture, the professional challenge, and the outdoorsmanship of the people of the YK Delta inspiring. Upon Graduation he immediately joined the Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Dental program in Bethel, Alaska, as a full-time Staff Dentist.
Over the next 13 years, he worked for YKHC in the 14-chair hospital clinic, and providing traveling itinerant services to 38 of the village and subregional dental clinics, and five of those years as Dental Director of the YKHC Dental program. During this time, he performed as clinical faculty for Lutheran Medical Center post-doctoral AEGD program, and clinical instructor for ASDOH and OHSU pre-doctoral externship programs.
When it was time to leave the YK Delta for the road system, to see more of this great state of Alaska, Dr Allgair first had a brief stint as Dental Director of a smaller CHC in Kenai, and then opened private practice in Sterling, Alaska. Following the iconic Dr. John White’s passing in Bethel, he returned to assist his estate, and ultimately opened a second private practice office in Bethel.
Honors & Service
- 2007, Program Director’s Award, “For dedication and commitment instrumental to the development of the Alaska Dental Health Aide Therapy Initiative” Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Anchorage, Alaska
- 2007, NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, and Personal Protection in the Home
- 2005, Honorary Yup’ik Scout, 2nd Scout Battalion, 297th Infantry, Alaska Army National Guard
- 1999, Volunteer, Rural Coshocton Pediatric Dental Clinic
- 1999, Achievement Award, American Association of Orthodontists, OSU Class of 1999
- 1997, “Best Fund Raiser” National Award, American Student Dental Association
- 1995, Member, The Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- 1995, Dean’s List, Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences, University of Arkansas
- 1994, Member, Golden Key National Honor Society
- 1993-1994, Dean’s List, College of Engineering, University of Arkansas
- 1990, Certificate, Management Practice for Engineering & Technical Professionals, University of California, Irvine